Thursday, November 02, 2006
Some Late Thoughts on All Hallow's Day...
It's early the next morning here as I write this, the day after the Day of the Dead. I think that the idea of having a time once a year when one may consider mortality and immortality can be a useful one.

I know a number of people that I admire have shuffled off this mortal coil.

Some of them I knew personally and I have the greatest respect for my memories of my experience of them.

Others I did not have the good fortune to come across during their time among us, but I have read from them and of them and about them and admire them for those things.

And I wonder just who will admire me and what I've done when, in 50 years, someone else sits and ponders mortality and immortality on the Day of the Dead.


So perhaps a good question when thinking of things taking the very long view might be,
'Who am I in the process of being, right now, and what am I in the process of doing, right now, that someone in the future might be realistically expected to find memorable or admirable?'
If you don't have a good answer to that question, perhaps this is a good time to allow that idea to begin to simmer on the back burner of your mind. You might just be surprised at the kind of answers to those sorts of questions that can just pop up at the oddest and the most opportune times. At least that's the way it seems to work for me on this, the day after the Day of the Dead...

Be Well,

Michael Perez

Labels: , , , , ,

 
posted by Michael Perez at Thursday, November 02, 2006 | Permalink |


0 Comments: